Having a ‘finished’ manuscript is all well and good. Having time to tinker with that story can lead to revisions you didn’t plan. That isn’t always a bad thing, but it can lead you down a rabbit hole. I knew this already, and waded in anyway.
I’ve had a lot of time on my hands recently, and once I felt up to sitting at my desk again, I decided to try some ideas for Fantastic America. These were more than a few edits. There were supporting characters I was unhappy with, scenes I knew could be better, and a sense that some aspects of the story needed more kick.
So here I am, with a few chapters in momentary disarray. I’m hunting for name mentions as I gender swapped a couple of characters. I found a way to pump up the volume here and there. And tied it all together with a character reappearing near the end of the story.
I like where I’m at, but I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. Some of these changes should have occurred to me sooner. None of them are absolutely imperative, but they make me feel better about the story. Also, I needed to do something besides pitch on Twitter! (Which I also really enjoy.)